Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Kassala

From Port Sudan I backed tracked to Kassala. It’s a really nice chilled out place. The people here were very friendly even by Sudanese standards and I had most of my meals paid for by people I met in town. I didn’t do much here other than wander round the market and spend one day exploring the mountains on the edge of town. I was in Kassala for New Year’s Eve, and asked around extensively about any festivities that might be going on, but was told everyone would be tucked up in bed by 11pm and sure enough that was the case so I was tucked up in bed myself and fast asleep when the new year came in.

Kassala is my last stop in Sudan before crossing into Ethiopia, and I have to say I have been really struck by the friendliness and hospitality I have experienced here. It far surpasses any other country I have been to, so I will be a little sad leave.

No comments: