Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Port Sudan

I left Khartoum, early in the morning to take the 5am bus to Port Sudan. After lots of hassle trying to buy my ticket, and a fourteen hour bus journey, exacerbated by a bout of diarrhea I finally got to my destination. It was about 10pm when I finally got to Port Sudan and I had a lot of trouble finding a hotel as everywhere was full. Luckily a guy called Baabood drove by and gave me a lift and after taking me to a few hotels (all full) offered to put me up for the night; a very welcome bit of kindness after a long arduous day.

My plan for Port Sudan was to do some diving, but it soon became apparent that it was going to be difficult to sort this out as the dive centre in town had shut down. After a few days of phone calls trying to sort things out I decided to give diving here a miss. I stayed at Baabood’s house for my whole stay and was very kindly treated by his family. I also got pretty ill here and spent a night in the toilet with vomit coming out of my nose – very pleasant! I’m feeling much better now though. Baabood’s son and nephew, Mohamed and Ahmed, took me to the salt plant outside of town and I spent a very pleasant day there doing some fishing. This also meant that I did at least do something in Port Sudan other than get ill.

No comments: